Access to Information- FAQ's

How do I make an FOI request?
A Freedom of Information access request can be made by submitting a written letter requesting information or by completing an Access Request form and mailing this to us along with a cheque (payable to “Waterloo Regional Police Service”) in the amount of $5.00 for the application fee, or by attending the Police Reporting Centre at 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, completing an access form and paying the application fee in the amount of $5.00.

What are your hours?
The Access to Information Unit is available Monday – Friday, 08:00am – 4:00 pm. The office is closed on statutory holidays.

Where are you located?
We are located at the Waterloo Regional Police Service Police Reporting Centre, 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge, Ontario.

How much does it cost?
There is an initial $5.00 application fee and additional fees upon completion. Some examples of additional fees charged are as follows: 0.20 per page for photocopying, $7.50 per 15 minutes for search time and $7.50 per 15 minutes for preparation time and mailing costs according to current Canada Post rates.

How long does a request take?
A request pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act generally takes 30 – 60 days.

Why does it take that long?
A request that does not require us to contact involved parties would be completed within a 30 day period as mandated by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. A request that requires us to contact involved parties will generally be completed within a 60 day period as permitted by the Act.

What do I do if I need the report sooner than that?
Where a report is needed sooner, this information can be conveyed to us and where possible will be accommodated, however, we can not guarantee faster results. Records can also be produced by Court Order or producing a Summons to Witness for the records.

Will I get the complete report?
This depends on what is being requested and if the release of information would be deemed an invasion of another individual’s personal privacy. It would be reasonable to expect some information would be blacked out, however, this is only done in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

What kind of payment do you accept?
You may pay by cash or debit.

Can my lawyer get the report for me?
Yes, your lawyer may act as your personal agent and apply for access, however, the same access rules apply whether it is you or your lawyer who is making the application.

Can someone else pick up my completed request?
Provided we have initially seen you and your identification, you may provide written authorization to another individual authorizing the Waterloo Regional Police Service to release your sealed FOI package to the named individual in the letter.

What kind of identification do you accept and are there any other papers I need to bring?
We accept driver’s licenses, birth certificates, passports, student cards and age of majority cards. Depending on the records that you are seeking access to, you may also be required to bring other documents such as: custody papers or power of attorney documents certifying yourself as executor/executrix to name a few.

How can I correct information held about me?
The Act provides that individuals have the right to correct their own personal information if it is in error. This applies only to personal information to which the requester has been given access. After access has been granted to personal information, the individual has the right to request:
a. correction of personal information;
b. a statement of disagreement be attached to the record;
c. notification of correction or disagreement be sent to those to whom his/her personal information was disclosed within the previous year. The right of correction applies only to personal information to which an individual is provided access.

Requesters must complete an Access/Correction request form and remit a $5.00 payment.

The Service decides whether the correction will be made. Once a decision has been made the FOI Analyst notifies the requester. These decisions may be appealed to the Commissioner.


This translation feature provides a general interpretation of the web page content, but does not represent an exact translation. The Waterloo Regional Police Service is not liable for the accuracy of any translation as all text is automatically translated without manual verification for correctness. Should any translation result in offensive or inappropriate language, please notify us directly. The re-publication of any offensive or inappropriate language is strictly prohibited.

Wait Time

We are currently processing Police Record Checks received on August 10th, 2017

Call us

Non Emergencies:


(519) 653-7700

Other Areas

(519) 570-3000

Automated Attendant

(519) 650 8500

911 for Emergencies Only

What is an emergency? Calling 911 in other languages

Latest Tweets

  • 1 day 10 hours ago
    Planning on watching #Eclipse2017? Stay safe. Don't stop on highways to watch or take pics while driving. And remem…
  • 1 day 11 hours ago
    University students urged to #lock their doors after numerous rooms were broken into on weekend. Electronics stolen.
  • 2 days 13 hours ago
    Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues of the lost officers. #kissimmee #StandTogether