Victim Services Unit – Waterloo Regional Police Service
Since its inception in 1982, the Victim Services Unit’s principal goal has been and continues to be to assist people in dealing with the consequences of victimization and/or tragic circumstances such as homicides, domestic assaults, sexual assaults, criminal harassment, threats, and sudden deaths.
As civilian counsellors with the Waterloo Regional Police Service, we are in a unique position to be able to reach out to people who may otherwise be overlooked.
We do this by providing clients with:
- emotional support (crisis and ongoing)
- safety planning
- information regarding police procedures
- criminal court information/bail notification
- criminal court accompaniment (trials)
- referrals to community services
- acting as a liaison between the client and police, court and other agencies
- endeavouring to help improve victim co-operation with police and courts
Susan Lake (519) 743-7243 or (519) 579-5116 ext. 2228
Diane Martin (519) 579-5116 ext. 2231
Depending on circumstances, victims of crime may also be able to obtain information and assistance from the Victim Services Unit for the Correctional Service of Canada website. Also check the following downloadable documents: