For Immediate Release: July 5, 2012
Waterloo Region, Ontario – During the summer vacation period while many people are away from their homes for extended periods, Waterloo Regional Police have typically seen an increase in the number of residential break and enters.
With that in mind, police would like to remind the public to review their home security strategies and offer the following proactive tips:
- Maintain your property to provide clear sight lines to doors and windows
- Know your neighbours to the front, sides and back and communicate with them if you are leaving for a period of time
- If you are going on vacation, avoid publicizing on social media that you will be away
- Arrange for landscape maintenance and cancel deliveries
- Ensure that all doors, windows, garage and shed doors are in good working order and locked
- User lamp timers and motion sensor lighting
- Check our website for the Home Security Self Audit section available online.
Anyone wishing to report an incident or suspicious activity is urged to call police. For emergencies: call 9-1-1. For non-emergencies: call (519) 653-7700 in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge. All other areas: (519) 570-3000. Or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers 1 800 222 8477.
The Waterloo Regional Police Service is committed to working in partnership with our community to develop proactive strategies and create solutions to help reduce incidents of residential property crime.
Inspector Kevin Thaler, Executive Officer
(519) 650 8500 ext. 8713
Olaf Heinzel, Public Affairs Coordinator
(519) 650-8500 ext. 8773