Calling 911- What is an Emergency?

If you need to report a crime or a complaint, please contact police using your telephone. For emergencies, please dial 911.  For non-emergencies, please dial (519) 653 7700 in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge or (519) 570-3000 from all other areas. We cannot accept reports of incidents through Email.

What is the 9-1-1 Emergency Service Phone Number? 9-1-1 is the Emergency Phone Service servicing the Regional Municipality of Waterloo. This services allows callers, in emergency situations, to quickly link to Police, Fire and/or Ambulance Services. When a citizen calls 9-1-1, the goal is to ensure the caller is linked to the appropriate Emergency Service, as quickly as possible.

What is an Emergency and When to Call 9-1-1? Everyone reacts differently to an emergency. However, if there is an immediate risk to the safety of people or property, use 911. Some examples of an 9-1-1 Emergency include: crime in progress, medical emergency, fire, serious motor vehicle collision.

What is NOT a 9-1-1 Emergency? 911 should not be used unless a dangerous condition requiring immediate action exists. Some examples of a non-emergency call would include: Theft from vehicle, property damage where suspects have fled scene, a motor vehicle collision where no injuries are reported, and general inquires. In non-emergency situations, please use our business line @ (519) 653-7700 or automated attendant at (519) 650-8500.

What to Expect when you Call 9-1-1 Emergency When you dial 9-1-1 your call is answered by a member of the Waterloo Regional Police Communication Centre. They are professionally trained, and the 9-1-1 telephone system has an Automatic Location Identification System and an Automatic Number Identification System which lets the call taker know the address and telephone number of the caller. If a caller is unable to communicate or respond, the Police will be dispatched to the location immediately. Be prepared to answer the following questions:

  1. Which service do you require? Police, Fire or Ambulance Service?
  2. What is your address?  You need to provide the address of the incident, including the municipality.

You will then be connected to the Police, Fire or Ambulance Service where you will be required to supply all pertinent details surrounding the emergency.  Download Calling the Police flyer.

For alternative language flyers, please visit Calling 911 in Other Languages.

Remember: Stay Calm.


This translation feature provides a general interpretation of the web page content, but does not represent an exact translation. The Waterloo Regional Police Service is not liable for the accuracy of any translation as all text is automatically translated without manual verification for correctness. Should any translation result in offensive or inappropriate language, please notify us directly. The re-publication of any offensive or inappropriate language is strictly prohibited.
Call us

Non Emergencies:


(519) 653-7700

Other Areas

(519) 570-3000

Automated Attendant

(519) 650 8500

911 for Emergencies Only

What is an emergency? Calling 911 in other languages

Latest Tweets

  • 1 day 10 hours ago
    Planning on watching #Eclipse2017? Stay safe. Don't stop on highways to watch or take pics while driving. And remem…
  • 1 day 11 hours ago
    University students urged to #lock their doors after numerous rooms were broken into on weekend. Electronics stolen.
  • 2 days 13 hours ago
    Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues of the lost officers. #kissimmee #StandTogether
Cheif's Desk

Office of the Chief

View Chief Matt Torigian's page