Applicant Fact Sheet


The Waterloo Regional Police Service (the Service) will complete a Police Record Check on a potential candidate for employment or volunteer duties when:

1. You reside within the jurisdiction of this police service

2. You have signed the required consent forms. The requesting agency plays an integral role in the initial stages of the hiring process. Even before an individual applies for a Police Record Check the agency should:

(a) Complete an initial review for suitability and be considering you for an employment or volunteer opportunity.

(b) Understand its obligation under the Human Rights Code with respect to evaluation, hiring and training volunteers or employees and what constitutes a bona fide reason for refusing to hire any individual or volunteer.

(c) Determine that if a Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required, it is done so only for the purpose of assisting the Agency to determine your suitability for employment and/or volunteer duties responsible for the wellbeing of persons who, because of their age, disability or other circumstances are at a greater risk than the general population.

The Waterloo Regional Police Service offers three levels of record checks:

1. Police Criminal Record Check

2. Police Information Check

3. Police Vulnerable Sector Check

Requirement for Fingerprints Criminal Record:

Applicants who have a criminal record will be required to be fingerprinted so that the Service can confirm a criminal record is held at the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records.

Applicants are NOT required to be fingerprinted for:

- A conviction for which you have received a record suspension

- A conviction where you were a "young person", - Absolute or Conditional Discharges

- Any offences where you were not convicted

- Provincial or municipal offences, or

- Any charges dealt with outside of Canada.

Vulnerable Sector: If you are seeking employment and/or volunteering in a position of authority or trust relative to vulnerable persons you may be required to submit fingerprints to verify whether you have been received a record suspension for a sexual offence contained within the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records. Release of Completed Police Record Check Police Criminal Record Check and Police Information Check The Service will provide the results of a completed Police Criminal Record Check and Police Information Check only to you, the applicant.

It is your decision to share the results of a Police Record Check with the agency where you want to work or volunteer. The role of the Service is to provide you with the results of the Police Record Check. The agency is responsible to determine your suitability for the position. Police Vulnerable Sector Check The Service will complete a Vulnerable Sector Check based on your name and date of birth, as well as, gender and date of birth. If no record is found, a completed Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be provided to you, the applicant. If the Vulnerable Sector Search is inconclusive a fingerprint based search will be required. If the RCMP confirms that you have a sex offence with a record suspension, the information will be forwarded to the Minister of Public Safety to authorize disclosure of all or part of the information contained in your file. When the information is authorized for disclosure by the Minister, the criminal record associated with your fingerprints will be returned to the Service and will include the sexual offence with a record suspension information. At this point the Service will be required to obtain your consent in writing for disclosure of the record(s). When you have signed the form giving consent to release the record(s) the Service must forward the information to the requesting agency (employer or volunteer agency).

If you, the applicant, choose not to disclose your record(s) the Service will contact the requesting agency in writing indicating that the Service was unable to complete the Police Vulnerable Sector Check. Reconsideration Request Process You may request reconsideration of the non-conviction information disclosed on the Police Vulnerable Sector Check.

Contact Us

How Do I...