Background or Record Checks

The Waterloo Regional Police Service allows you to access, book, or apply for a variety of services both online and in person. Two pieces of government issued identification, as well as proof of residency within the Waterloo Region are required upon pick up of record checks.  There are three different types of Record Checks:


 Additional Information

 Record Check Office Hours of Operation and Location

Regular Business Hours

Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m..


Statutory Holiday Hours

Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day



The Record Check Office is located in the Police Reporting Centre (next to Police Headquarters)

150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge

519-570-9777 ext. 8900



Record Check Status Updates

Record Check processing time can be found by choosing BEGIN RECORD CHECK, under STATUS.  

More Information for Agencies and Applicants

Consider reading our Record Check Fact Sheets

Record Check for Adoption

To apply for a Record Check for an Adoption

  1. Apply online for an Adoption Record Check.
  2. You will receive an email from us to book an in-person fingerprint appointment at 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge.
  3. You will receive an email when the Criminal and Judicial Matters Check is ready for pickup. 


  • Fingerprints are required for all adoption requests and we submit them to the RCMP who will conduct the appropriate database searches.  These searches include any record suspensions as authorized for release by the Minister of Public Safety
  • Two pieces of valid identification, one with a photo and proof of residency within the Region of Waterloo is required for pickup.

Fingerprinting may or may not be required depending on your application, review our dedicated fingerprinting page to learn more.  

Acceptable Forms of Identification


In order to release or confirm confidential information regarding your criminal record, or lack thereof, we require sufficient proper identification to verify your identity.  The applicant must produce two pieces of appropriate identification that confirms their name, date of birth and address. One piece of identification presented must include a photo.

The following is a list of items that are considered acceptable forms of identification.

(Health Cards cannot be required for identification purposes but if volunteered, no unauthorized use or disclosure of the Health Card is permitted.)

 Photo Identification: which provides photo and both the name and date of birth of an individual:

  • Driver's Licence
  • Passport
  • Age of Majority Card (BYID)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Firearms Licence (FAL, PAL, POL)
  • Government Employment Card
  • Health Card
  • Immigration Papers with photo
  • Indian Status Card
  • Military Employment Card
  • NEXUS card
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Student Card

 Non-Photo Identification: which provides both the name and date of birth of an individual:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Canadian Blood Donor Card
  • Fishing Licence
  • Hospital Card
  • Hunting Licence
  • Immigration Papers
  • Outdoors Card
  • Recent utility bill required to verify current Waterloo Region address if no driver's licence is available.
  • People under 16 can provide school ID, bus pass and/or their parent can provide verification

 For further information, please contact 519-570-9777 ext. 8900.



Record checks for people living outside of Canada

The Waterloo Regional Police Service does not provide Record Checks to people living outside of Canada. If you live out of the country, and need confirmation that you have no criminal record in Canada, you may obtain a copy of your Canadian Criminal Record through the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

Please visit the RCMP website for detailed instructions and costs.

Reconsideration Process for a Vulnerable Sector Check

The Waterloo Regional Police Service offers a Reconsideration Process to applicants who have received a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). This process is not available for the Criminal Record Check or the Criminal and Judicial Matters Check.


If you wish to request the removal or amendment of information listed on your Police Record Check you may apply as follows:

  • The applicant shall complete the Reconsideration Request form available online and at the Police Reporting Centre at 150 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge.
  • The reconsideration request must state the specific reason(s) why the Waterloo Regional Police Service should reconsider its decision to include information relating to non-conviction dispositions.
  • Convictions are not able to be reconsidered.
  • A maximum of five pages of supporting documentation may be included with your request.
  • No oral representations or hearings will take place.
  • The applicant must submit the request form with a $30 application fee + HST = $33.90 payable by cash, debit or certified cheque.
  • The fee is not refundable
  • The completed request form, supporting documentation and the fee may be dropped off at the Police Reporting Centre or mailed to:

Record Check Reconsideration

Waterloo Regional Police Service

150 Maple Grove Road

Cambridge, Ontario N3H 5M1

  • Requests for reconsideration must be made in writing within 35 days of the completion of the applicant’s Police Record Check.

A: Reconsideration Process

The following will, if applicable, be considered in the reconsideration process:

  1. The applicant’s written submission and supporting documentation:
  2. Whether the information meets the criteria for release as outlined on the CRC, CJMC, VSC forms or the OACP Guideline for Police Record Checks;
  3. Nature and circumstances of the incident based on both the applicant’s submission and police/Crown notes;
  4. Date of incident and length of time that has passed;
  5. The age of the applicant at the time of the incident;
  6. Police records, investigating officer input and Crown input;
  7. All entries in the applicant’s criminal record file and the nature of these entries;
  8. Whether occurrences or police contacts show a pattern of behaviour (i.e., domestic disputes, threats of violence, assaults, sexual or predatory behaviour, etc.);
  9. Whether the requester continues to present a substantial risk to the community;
  10. Any other relevant information.

B: Criminal Dispositions

If you have concerns regarding criminal dispositions that have been included on your Police Record Check, refer to our brochure File Closure of Fingerprints and Dispositions. Criminal convictions cannot be reconsidered in this process.

C: Copies of Police Reports

There may be times when obtaining a copy of a police report will assist you in recalling the event or in presenting the information on your Police Record Check to your employer. If you need to obtain a copy of a police report, submit an Access/Correction Request.

D: Approved Reconsideration

Once the application is received it will be reviewed by the Waterloo Regional Police Service’s Reconsideration Panel within 30 days to determine if it meets the criteria for reconsideration. If approval to remove or amend the information in question is granted, the applicant will be contacted to pick up a new Police Record Check, at no additional cost. A letter confirming the Reconsideration Panel’s decision will be sent to the applicant.

E: Denied Reconsideration

If the Reconsideration Panel determines that all or part of the request should be denied, a letter of denial will be sent to the applicant. The letter will state why the request was denied unless stating the reason for denial would jeopardize an on-going or open investigation or intelligence gathering, potentially endanger a person or property, be contrary to a privilege or be against public policy (i.e., fall under public immunity privilege).

F: Extension of Timelines

If, in extenuating circumstances, the Waterloo Regional Police Service cannot meet the timelines indicated in this process, the applicant will be notified of the applicable extensions as required.

Record Suspension (Pardon)
If you have been free of criminal convictions for a period of time you may apply to the Parole Board of Canada for a record suspension (formerly Pardon Application). Learn more by visiting our Record Suspension or Pardon Application page.

Contact Us

How Do I...